Every day across the country, we entrust our kids to coaches. Sometimes for an hour. Other times more. But how well do you know that person? Probably not too well? After all, he (or she) is most likely, not family. Sure, she (or he) may be coaching their own child as well, but that doesn’t mean anything. If you’ve read the news—ever—then you know that plenty of bad guys (or girls) have kids. That’s why it’s important that you, as a parent, conduct a criminal background verification check of your kid’s coach.
Many youth sports clubs are now making it mandatory to have a background check done on their volunteer coaches. However, not everyone does it well. And lots of criminals have been known to slip through the cracks.
Below are 5 coaches who committed crimes who should’ve undergone a better background verification process:
- 36-year-old high school football coach David Carrasco was charged with using the Internet to lure minors into sex acts after trying to get a male student have sex with him.
- Girls softball coach Thomas Barnes Galloway was arrested for sexually assaulting one of his players four times when she was between the age of 13 and 15.
- High school football coaches Leonard Agee Jr., 40, and Benjamin Jenkins, 36 were arrested for selling marijuana, cocaine, heroin, and pills. Agee already had a record for possession of marijuana and drug paraphernalia. Jenkins had been arrested for drugs before.
- 57-year-old Catholic high school softball coach Michael Martis was sentenced for molesting an underage girl he coached.
- Volunteer high school football coach Jaime Jimenez was sentenced to 36 years in state prison for sexually abusing five teenage boys.
Use Hero Searches for your background check.
Use a reliable background search site on every adult that your child comes in contact with. Any site worth its money will reveal mug shots, crime reports, aliases, known accomplices and more. One such quality site is Hero Searches. Hero is a trusted criminal history check site that has been helping parents find out the truth about everyone they know. Whether it’s a coach, teacher, babysitter, bus driver, or neighbor you want to search, Hero can help.