Admit it. You’ve tried the whole online dating thing at least once. Even if all you did was fill out your profile on a free dating site only to delete it a week later without meeting or connecting with anyone – it still counts. However, there are many other people who use dating sites for much longer. These people are desperate to find that special someone by any means necessary.
Now, while online dating is not a bad thing, there is a downside to it compared to meeting new people in public. People are more likely to lie on their dating profile and fabricate important details about themselves just to ‘match’ with someone. Doing so will ensure them a first date (and thats usually all they get).
Facts to Make You Think Twice Before Meeting Your Online Match
- 51% of online daters are already in a relationship of some kind.
- More than 53% of Americans make up parts or all of their dating profiles.
- 11% of people with active online dating profiles are married.
- 10% of all online dating users are scammers. These are mostly found on free dating sites and apps.
- The chances of meeting a sex offender on an online dating service is 10%.
- In 2005 alone, 25% of rapists used online dating sites to find their victims.
Just to Be Sure, Run a Background Check
You can’t always believe everything you’re told. As you can see, most people using online dating sites have secrets or are just liars. Once you match or connect with someone, don’t be afraid to ask them all sorts of questions and even ask for pictures! If they are worth meeting up with, you’d better run a background check on them beforehand. A background check will allow you to verify if everything they told you is in fact the truth. You’ll also be able to run a phone number search to get their exact name and location.
Whoever you talk to, just remember to always keep your safety in mind. Don’t disclose too much information right away, especially if you believe they are holding back with you. Always trust your gut instinct. If something feels off or wrong, chances are they are hiding something from you. Be smart. Use Hero Searches today to get one step closer to finding your true love.