A first date can either be a great experience or a night from hell. The advent of online dating hasn’t made going on a first date any better. In fact, first dates set up through free online dating sites have a lower success rate than dates where the two people already know of each other or have briefly met face-to-face in public. This is because most people tend to lie on their online dating profiles. These lies cause the other person to have certain expectations when date night rolls around.
If you recently met someone online, be sure to check out these first date horror stories before you go out with your apparent Prince Charming. These stories will have you thinking twice about rushing into love and maybe even convince you to run a background check on them.
We Swear We Didn’t Make These Up
There were millions to choose from, but here are our top 10 worst first date stories.
- “The guy leaned over to kiss me and burped in my mouth.” – Toni
- “Went on a date with a guy going through a divorce. We met up and for the next hour, he read me the texts to him from the soon-to-be ex.” – Loretta
- “I went out for dinner and a movie with a guy. I tried to chip in money at both, but he insisted that he cover it all. At the end of the night, we’re sitting in his car in the parking lot of the restaurant we had just eaten at, and he asks for sex, saying, ‘I mean, I bought you dinner and took you to a movie. It’s the least you can do.'” – Michelle
- “I showed him a picture of my dog on my phone; he took out his phone and showed me a picture of his package. Dog sounds like ‘dong,’ my mistake.” – Lindsey
- “It was our first date and he brought his dad.” – Becca
- “Met a guy I’d been talking to on a dating site for our first date at a bar. We ordered our drinks and he immediately paid, chugged his beer, looked me up and down and said, ‘yeah…I can’t do this’ and left me there.” – Allison
- “He paid for dinner with 3 different gift cards.” – Stephanie
- “It was our first date. He took me to his cousin’s kindergarten graduation and then to a family party. He didn’t even talk to me the whole 4 hours I was stuck there. At least there was cake.” – Stacy
- “He talked like a baby. He put chopsticks in his mouth and pretended to be a mammoth.” – Lydia
- “He asked me if I wanted to go see a movie. When he picked me up, he said it would be cheaper to just stay in his car and watch Netflix on his iPad.” – Bridget
Be Smart and Background Check Your Date
Don’t be fooled. Know who you’re meeting up with before your date night turns into a disaster.
Searching for your online date is easier than you think. Use an online public records search service to do all the digging for you. All you have to do is enter in their name and you’ll have instant access to all of their records. You’ll be able to see where they live, who their relatives are, where they went to school and more. You’ll also be able to look into any past criminal records. Running a full background check is more important than you think and it could potentially save your life.